The Stand is made from timbers of the first Guildhall which stood on the site of the present Town Hall and was demolished in 1858.
It consists of an oblong, tapered bed on which are mounted two richly ornamentally carved crutch supports in which the Mace rests, whilst at the head is a velveteen crimson cushion decorated with ribbon bones on which the head of the Mace rests. At the foot of the bed is affixed a silver fancy inscription plate declaring that the Mace Stand was presented to the Council by Councillor G T Phillips in 1894.
The full inscription reads,
"This Mace Rest was made from the oak timbers taken from the Old Town Hall (built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth) and presented to the Corporation of Wokingham by the Mayor Councillor GP Phillips during his mayoralty November 1894."