Prince George of Denmark (1653–1708), Baron Wokingham, KG
DescriptionBaron Ockingham. Husband of Queen Anne.
He is wearing a strange mixture of plate and classic armour, a Roman breastplate and appendages to protect the thighs. The Blue Ribbon of the Garter crosses his breastplate, and the oval badge of St George is attached to it on his right hip. In his right hand he holds a baton.
In the background is a combat of cavalry and above that a fortress partially enveloped in smoke of a cannonade, through which a scaling ladder and flag flying are distinguished.
While much of the history of the paintings in the Town Hall has been lost this work has a curious story attached to it that has been recorded.
In the ‘forties there was a sale of old furniture and effects of the well-known Rose Inn, when it was removed from near the Bush Inn to its present site. The late Dr J.G.Barford’s mother at the sale bought an oil-painting of a young female, unknown, from a fancied resemblance of the features to those of her daughter, who had died in early youth. From Mrs Barford it came to her son, the doctor, and he thinking to have it cleaned and restored, sent it up to a dealer in London who at once discovered that the female figure had been painted over a portrait of Baron Ockingham. Dr Barford was of the opinion that it may have once been one of the Corporation pictures. After his death the Rev. C W Penny purchased the picture from his widow and presented it to the Corporation in 1898.