Mace Rest

Description

The Stand is made from timbers of the first Guildhall which stood on the site of the present Town Hall and was demolished in 1858.

It consists of an oblong, tapered bed on which are mounted two richly ornamentally carved crutch supports in which the Mace rests, whilst at the head is a velveteen crimson cushion decorated with ribbon bones on which the head of the Mace rests. At the foot of the bed is affixed a silver fancy inscription plate declaring that the Mace Stand was presented to the Council by Councillor G T Phillips in 1894.

The full inscription reads,

"This Mace Rest was made from the oak timbers taken from the Old Town Hall (built in the reign of Queen Elizabeth) and presented to the Corporation of Wokingham by the Mayor Councillor GP Phillips during his mayoralty November 1894."

Source

Identifier

WTH0035

Citation

“Mace Rest,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed December 7, 2019, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0035.

Files

web_macerest_refurbished.JPG
web_macerest_refurbished2.JPG
web_macerest_refurbished3.JPG
web_macerest_refurbished4.JPG
web_macerest_refurbished5.JPG

Date

1894

Dimensions

86 x 18 x 18 cm

Medium

Wood, velvet and silver

Related Resource

The Ceremonial Mace
Snuff Box
George Thorne Phillips