George Thorne Phillips
Son of Thomas Rouse Phillips (1773 - 1864), councillor of the city of London and Jane (1799-1848), nee Such, George was one of eight brothers and five sisters.
He and his wife, Maria Louise nee Groce (b 1861), of Padstow, Cornwall, whom he married in 1884, came to Peach Street, Wokingham in the late 1880's. They had four daughters: Maria Louisa Mabel Grose (b. 1884), Ethel Mary (b. 1885), Christine Esther (1887-1890) and Kathleen Dora Phillips (b. 1890). In later years the family moved to 8, Langborough Road.
George was a building material dealer and miller (steam) with premises and residence in Peach Street.
Public spirited, he was elected member of Wokingham Town Council in November 1885 and was elected Mayor in November 1894 and November 1986, and in 1906 he was elected Alderman.
He donated illuminated dials for the Town Hall clock during his Mayoral term and a memorial plaque was placed in the turret to commemorate this generous gesture. He also donated the rest for the mace and a casket for the corporate seal. Both were made from timber recovered from the old Guildhall.
He was one of the directors of the Wokingham Investment Society.
Around 1910 George retired and he and Louisa moved from No. 23 Peach Street to No. 8 Langborough Road.
A prominent Freemason he had been Grand Lodge officer and a strong supporter of all charities connected with Freemasonry. In 1910 he wrote History of the Grey Friars Lodge, no. 1101, Reading, Province of Berkshire.
In 1914 they moved to Wadebridge, North Cornwall where he was a devoted church supporter. He become a lay reader in St. Breock’s Parish Church and was ordained in 1920 and since then he had been on the staff of the Bishop of Truro. He was with Canon E. Drew at Launceston for a time and took relief duties at Egloshayle, St. Endellion, Tuckingmill, and other parishes.
The Rev. George Phillips died suddenly on Saturday, June 23rd 1923 at St. Columb Road, St. Columb, Cornwall where he had been staying while on relief duty. He was buried on the following Wednesday in Egloshayle Parish Churchyard, Wadebridge.