Edwin Cecil Hughes
DescriptionA native of Mevagissy in Cornwall and son of carpenter James and his wife Ann, Edwin moved to Wokingham in the 1880s where by energy and skill, he built up his builder’s business in Wiltshire Road. The company, Albion Works, built churches, schools, public buildings, including Wokingham Police Station, and private residences.
In addition to his civic and business activities, Edwin was vice-president of the Reading and District Ironmongers’ Assistants’ Association and one time member, and generous supporter, of the Wokingham Fire Brigade. In his earlier years he took: great interest in the Albion Works Football Club and the Wokingham Athletic Club.
A leading Freemason; he was Past Master of the Downshire Lodge, Past Principal of the Downshire Chapter and Preceptor of the Wokingham Lodge of Instruction.
He married Margaret nee Pope(1860-1937), from Waltham St. Lawrence in 1885 and took up residence at Albion House. No. 1, Wiltshire Road. They had a son, Archibald Cecil(b. 1897) and two daughters, Mabel Alice (b. 1888) and Margaret(b. 1897).
Edwin was also agent for the Wokingham branch of the Sun Fire and Life Assurance office; manager of Wokingham Savings Bank and managing director of Wokingham District Water Company.
Edwin became closely associated with the Territorial Army and proved a good friend to the local company providing grounds for weekend camps and a prize, under his name, for shooting competitions. Archibald, his son, was a member of the Wokingham (M.G.) ‘D’ Company, 4th Battalion Royal Berks Regiment (T.). He rose from private to second in command of the battalion.
Of keen foresight, in 1913, Edwin propounded and introduced a scheme for the extension of the borough which, although apparently premature, was accomplished 14 years later. It was due to his energy and foresight that much of the development of Wokingham took place.
For some time Edwin had suffered from a severe and painful illness, but it was only during the last two weeks of his life that his condition gave cause for concern. He passed away on Sunday, 21st February 1932 and was buried in All Saints’ churchyard. Hughes Road was named in his memory.
SourceFormer Mayors of Wokingham from 1885 - 1946, by J Bell.
“Edwin Cecil Hughes,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed September 22, 2020, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0138.