Frederick John Barrett
DescriptionFrederick was a native of Wokingham who devoted much of his life to his home town. He was also proprietor of the building firm of Froud and Barrett in Reading Road. Always smartly dressed, he was noted for being a stickler for details.
After the First World War, in which he served with the Royal Berkshire Regiment Territorials, Frederick married Dorothy Marie by whom he had a son and two daughters.
Upon his first election Frederick presented the council with a gavel and block which he had made from timber from Ye Olde Rose Inne.
As a trustee he helped to administer the Archbishop Laud Charity under which he had been trained as a carpenter. From 1921 until 1953 he was manager of the Palmer School.
A keen bowler, Frederick was a founder member of the Wokingham Bowling Club and chairman for the greater part of his membership. In 1935 he was elected president of the Wokingham Fat Stock Show.
Ever having the interests of youth at heart he took an active part in the Boys’ Brigade before the First World War. In his latter years he was chairman of the Wokingham and District Boy Scouts’ Association.
Frederick was founder member of the Wokingham Rotary Club and was president for eighteen months after its inauguration.
Towards the end of 1953, Frederick left Highmoor in Milton Road and settled in Highmoor, Sutton Road, Seaford, Sussex. Even in Sussex Frederick still thought of Wokingham and sold his civic robes and hat to the council for £10.
Frederick died at the age of 64 in the Princess Louise Memorial Hospital, in Eastbourne, on Tuesday 26th of January 1954 and was buried beside his parents in All Saints’ Churchyard, Wokingham. Barrett Crescent was named in his memory.
SourceFormer Mayors of Wokingham from 1885 - 1946, by J Bell.
“Frederick John Barrett,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed July 13, 2020, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0148.