The Wokingham Cup
DescriptionA silver two handled cup and cover of vase form; the plain body with two applied oval cartouches, the foliate one enclosing the inscription, in old English style script:
'From the Inhabitants of Wokingham to James Webb Esq.,
Captain Commandant of the Armed Association of that place
(Instituted for local protection in that critical epoch the year 1798) in testimony of the high sense they entertain of his patriotic and soldier like conduct'.
And the other cartouche encompassing an applied acorn and oak leaf motif surmounted by the inscription:
all supported upon a circular pedestal and mounted with two looped Randles; the tall detachable cover surmounted by an acorn and oak leaf finial; the underside inscribed:
'Presented on the disembodying of the Association
The interior of the Cup being gilt.
This Cup was returned to Wokingham Town Council in 1983 by the Reverend C L Smith of Rochester, Kent who was a direct descendant of James Webb.
“The Wokingham Cup,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed July 22, 2019, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0159.