Brian John Willis

Description

A native of Oatlands Park, Surrey, Brian is the son of Leonord and May Willis. Mr. Willis sen. was proprietor of an Ironmongers Shop. The family moved to Weybridge in 1951.
He joined SEEBoard in 1954 and served an apprenticeship as an electrician, finally qualifying as an Electrical Engineer (H.N.D.). In 1982 Brian left an international company to set up his own company designing and manufacturing control panels for many companies in UK, Europe and Asia.
Brian and Ann (b 1942) married in 1963 and moved to Ashford, Middlesex. They have two children, Caroline Ann (b. 1964). After a career change and new employer, the family moved to Twyford, then to Wokingham where, soon after, John David (b. 1967) came along.
Brian has been described as a someone who is very approachable and who has never lost touch with the public. He is always happy to help people and local causes.
During his first Mayoral term of he was honoured to preside at a ceremony to re-confirm the Freedom of Wokingham on the Royal Electrical And Mechanical Engineers, Arborfield. This was followed, a week later, when he welcomed a group of councillors from Erfstadt, Wokingham’s German twinned town during the celebration of thirty years of Twinning. In his second term of office was again honoured to welcome H.R.H. the Countess of Wessex when she visited the Town Hall.

Brian stood down as Mayor In 2009 and was elected Chairman of the Amenities Committee. Ever active, he is also secretary of his local N.A.G. and member of the Wokingham Lions. He hopes to continue to serve the people of Wokingham for many years to come health and God willing.

Source

Former Mayors of Wokingham from 1980 - 2015, by J Bell.

Identifier

WTH0176

Citation

“Brian John Willis
,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed December 7, 2019, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0176.

Files

BrianWillis.jpg

Collection

Date

Mayor 2007, 2008