Dr. Ernest Ward
DescriptionAt the age of six Ernest Ward came to England from India and took up residence at Staines. After education at Marlborough College, he went to Bristol Royal Infirmary for his medical training, and qualifying, became Assistant Medical Officer and house surgeon at the Royal Berkshire Hospital. In 1892 he came to Wokingham, and the following year married Miss Eleanor Maybury Ransome, of Cork. They had a son and three daughters. Dr. Ward carried on his practice until 1939 when he retired.
During the 1914-18 War he was in charge of four auxiliary hospitals in the neighbourhood, and for his work received the M.B.E.. He was in a great part responsible for the building of the Wokingham Memorial Clinic in Denmark Street which opened in 1923. He served on the clinic committee up to his death.
In 1920 he was elected to the Town Council, and continued until 1936. From 1920-26 he was a churchwarden at All Saints’ Church. In 1944 he was made a Freeman of Wokingham in recognition of his long and devoted service.
At the time of his death he lived at Bedwyn Lodge, Milton Road, Wokingham. He died in the Royal Berkshire Hospital, Reading, on Friday aged 87.
The associated file 1 is front cover of the programme for the presentation of the Honorary Freedom of the Borough to William Thomas Martin, J.P. and Dr. Ernest Ward, M.B.E. on the 7th June 1944.
SourceHonorary Freeman of Wokingham, by J. Bell
“Dr. Ernest Ward,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed July 13, 2020, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0235.
Date1920 - 1936 Served on the Council
1944 Made Honorary Freeman