Henry Trower Roberts
DescriptionHenry, born in 1852 was a member of the Roberts family of solicitors of Montague House, Broad Street. He was a nephew of Edward Roberts who was a Common Clerk of Wokingham.
Queen Victoria's Charter of Incorporation came into force in 1885 and Wokingham became a municipal borough with elected Mayor, Aldermen and Councillors. At the first council meeting Henry was elected Town Clerk of the Borough of Wokingham.
In addition to the Clerk's duties he also served as Clerk to the District Highway Board; Clerk to the Lieutenancy and Clerk to Wokingham Saving Bank.
In 1890 he married Mary Ann Goodwin(b 1861), daughter of David Goodwin, landlord of the Dukes Head public house in Denmark Street. Shortly afterwards thy moved to "Ducie Lodge" in Milton Road. They had two sons.
Henry died on 4th January 1893, his funeral taking place at All Saints Parish Church, Wokingham.
SourceFormer Town Clerks of Wokingham by Jim Bell
“Henry Trower Roberts,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed August 15, 2020, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0488.