Browse Items (56 total)

  • Collection: Buildings

St. Paul's Schools

St Pauls Schools.jpg
St. Paul's Schools, with master's house attached were built by John Walter III on land that he purchased from Mr. Palmer of Holme Park in December 1864. The projected cost of the new school to accommodate 325 mixed children and infants was £ 1,000.…

Tags:

St. Paul's Church

St Paul's Church.jpg
St Paul’s Church was built in 1864 due to the rapid growth of Wokingham after the railway came. It was funded by John Walter III of Bear Wood, who owned the Times Newspaper and donated two acres of land to accommodate the Church and Churchyard. John…

Martin's Pool

Martins Pool.jpg
William (known as Billy) Thomas Martin was mayor of Wokingham in 1911, 1912 and 1919. Billy was keen to provide an open air swimming pool for the people of Wokingham but was unable to acquire funding from the council so in 1932 he decided to build it…

Emmbrook House

Emmbrook House.jpg
Emmbrook House which was situated on the Wokingham Road just past the Oxford Road turning was owned by Samual Norman in 1779, who gave the house to his daughter Elizabeth and William Gaisford Peach on their marriage. The property then had an orchard,…

Tags:

Wokingham Post Office

Post Office.jpg
The old Wokingham Post Office was bought by the Westminster Bank and was in use until the 1980s when it became the National Westminster Bank.

The associated photograph was taken at the turn of the century.

The Elms

The Elms.jpg
The original Elms in Broad Street was built in the 15th century and the existing building dates back to the 18th century. At one time it was Dower House to the Swallowfield Estate. It was bought by the Ellison family in 1892.

The building is now…

Tags:

Café (Broad Street)

Cafe.jpg
A café, which also sold cakes once stood on the corner of Broad Street and Rose Street. It was an old timber framed building, which during the early part of the 17th century was the "George Inn".

The associated photograph was taken in the early…

Tags:

Boots

Boots.jpg
Boots, the chemist were originally based in a smaller premises in the Market Place. The associated picture was taken in the 1950s.

Gotelee House

Gotelle House.jpg
Gotelee House in the Market Place was a bookseller and stationery and also housed the Conservative Committee rooms. The building is mid 18th century and is now (2018) the Halifax Building Society.

The associated photograph was taken during the…

Heelas Department Store

Heelas Store.jpg
Heelas the department store occupied most of the north side of the Market Place in 1950. One building remains now (2018) as part of Boots, the rest was demolished and redeveloped in the late 1960s.

The first associated photograph was taken in 1950…

Tags: