Browse Items (20 total)

  • Collection: History of Wokingham Town Council

Thomas Chambers

ThomasChambers.JPG
A framed drawing of Thomas Chambers with the following inscription:-

THOMAS CHAMBERS
Sergeant at Mace, Town Crier and Sexton
From 1826 to…

Seal Press

seal punch.JPG
A metal painted seal press still used for certain Town Council documents to this day.

James Seaward

James Seaward.jpg
Councillor November 1891 to November 1909. Alderman 1909 to his death in 1921

Veronica Muriel Essame

Veronica Essame - Article from Wokingham Times.pdf
Veronica Essame, daughter of Frederick Heald (b. 1861), a solicitor, and mother Amy (b. 1862), was born in East Ham, Essex in July 1906. She was the youngest of three sisters and two brothers.

She lived in Finchampstead Road, Wokingham and was…

William Radcliffe Van Staubenzee

Straubenzee (1).png
Sir William van Straubenzee was the only son of Brigadier Arthur Bowen van Straubenzee DSO MC. and his wife Margaret Joan Radcliffe. He had a sister, Viv. He was a British Conservative Party politician. The family name had come to the United Kingdom…

Dr. Ernest Ward

web_WardFreeman1944.jpg
At the age of six Ernest Ward came to England from India and took up residence at Staines. After education at Marlborough College, he went to Bristol Royal Infirmary for his medical training, and qualifying, became Assistant Medical Officer and house…

Wooden Album

web_woodalbum.JPG
A wooden covered album of text and photographs depicting the Victorian Street Fair and Civic Ceremony held on 2nd November 1985.

Programme for Freeman of the Town ceremony (Mr. W. R. Van Straubenzee)

web_Straubenzee_program.JPG
Programme entitled as follows:-
CEREMONY TO GRANT THE STATUS of HONORARY TOWNSPERSON OF WOKINGHAM to MR. W.R. VAN STRAUBENZEE, M.B.E., M.P. on SATURDAY, 13th SEPTEMBER, 1980 at 11.00 a.m. at WOKINGHAM TOWN HALL..

This was in recognition and…

Opening the Town Hall

web_openingtownhall.JPG
A framed copy of the " Illustrated London News" reporting on the opening of the Town Hall on 6th June 1860.
The new town hall was officially opened with much pomp and ceremony by the High Steward of Wokingham, Richard Cornwallis Neville, 4th Lord…

Wokingham Guildhall

web_market placeand Guildhall.JPG
The Guild Hall was the building previously on the site of the current Town Hall the below is an extract from the history of this building. Due to this being pre the age of photography the guild hall only exists in drawings and paintings some of which…