Opening the Town Hall
DescriptionA framed copy of the " Illustrated London News" reporting on the opening of the Town Hall on 6th June 1860.
The new town hall was officially opened with much pomp and ceremony by the High Steward of Wokingham, Richard Cornwallis Neville, 4th Lord Braybrooke. The Mayor and members of the Corporation paraded to the railway station where they welcomed the High Steward. The dignitaries then paraded to the Town Hall where after numerous speeches, the new building was officially inspected and opened. After the ceremonies everyone of importance had lunch at Alderman Robert's house.
That evening a ball was held in the town hall for the local dignitaries and their wives. Admission was 10 shillings for the ladies and 15s for the gentlemen.
“Opening the Town Hall,” Wokingham's Virtual Museum, accessed August 14, 2020, https://wokingham-tc.gov.uk/museum/document/WTH0224.